My reason for Blogging:

I'm Joe Sanders, currently an Undergraduate Landscape Architect Student in my 3rd year at Kingston University. This blog records my own experiences within the field of Landscape and related topics, all shared online to encourage myself and others to gain a wider experience of 'Landscape'.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Stockholm trip



In February, I visited Stockholm in Sweden with colleagues from my University. The capitol of Sweden is a vibrant city which has developed over a series of interlinked islands and inlets from the Baltic sea to the east. We were staying within the old town of Stockholm on a centrally positioned island called Gamla Stan. With the more traditional historic development to the south and to the north a blend of modern development mixed with traditional. Connecting the broken landscape that makes up Stockholm, wide bridges spread across the inlets, with a high priority given to pedestrians. 


Stockholm City Hall is a key landmark within the city, it was built in 1923 and designed by the architect Ragnar Ostberg.
The hall is right on the edge of Kungsholmen island within the centre of the city and serves as offices, conference rooms, ceremonial halls and also a grand restaurant. The City hall is one of Sweden’s outstanding examples of National Romanticism in its distinct architectural style. From my British background, large red brick buildings at this scale relate strongly to warehouses built within the industrial revolution. In my personal view, the way in which this important building within Sweden holds political significance but is also ‘powerful’ and ‘bold’ in its stance gives it a great character, amongst the complexity of such a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment