My reason for Blogging:

I'm Joe Sanders, currently an Undergraduate Landscape Architect Student in my 3rd year at Kingston University. This blog records my own experiences within the field of Landscape and related topics, all shared online to encourage myself and others to gain a wider experience of 'Landscape'.

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Textures within the Landscape


I recently spent 4 days exploring parts of Cornwall surrounding the lizard peninsula area with a few friends, a sort of farewell trip to a good friend who's emigrating to australia. He has lived in Falmouth for the past 5 years and so has become familiar with this part of cornwall. I had my camera with me most of the time and was enjoying capturing features of the surroundings in new ways. On an early morning trip to Porthleven Harbour i was fishing off the rocks for a few hours but after no success i began taking photos. The natural materials that give cornwall's landscape a strong character i find very interesting, especially in the way the towns and villages have evolved around the bold features of rocks and edges. The morning light over a distinct platform of Granite shaped by powerful waves sparked my imagination. The territories of valleys and peaks within the rock felt like a mountain range except in a vastly different scale. These images i took recording textures of the rocks reminded me of the miniature landscapes surrounding us all the time, a perspective on viewing spaces we all too often neglect. The effect of existing features imagined in different scales i find can be quite inspiring within design work, i recall in my 1st year of university being encouraged to carry scale people around with us, maybe 1:100.  You can instantly visualize and understand the effect of small features; atmospheres perceived to be created within a space can always move our thoughts to new places.


Looking up towards the Church in Porthleven from the rocks below. This church overlooks one of the most dangerous surf breaks within cornwall, huge waves in winter storms smash the sea wall and spray across the town. In this image one can experience the balance between the built and natural environment that exists in cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment